Sunday, November 20, 2011

Road Trippin'

Went to TABScon yesterday with some friends just to get away and take a break from School and family and life and I have to it was a great day!!!!  How to explain TABS? It is a giant gathering of people who all love board games  Upon entering the building, there is rows and rows of tables accompanied with noise, laughter, yelling, chaos and the occasional bad smells but it is so much fun. People play games all day long but their is also a bring and buy auction, a complex math-trade, a Toronto retailer who is hocking their merch as well as Snakes and Lattes supplying food and coffee.

As always, they had a bring and buy auction and once again I picked something up for super cheap. This time around, the steal was Zooloretto with 5 mini-expansions for $20 bucks. This works out to about a 50% savings and the kids are stoked to play it.

As for games I played. I first got to sit in on a game of Mob Ties which is a kickstarter game from Hostage Entertainment. In the game, you control a mob family trying to make a living in the crowded streets by killing and bribing and backstabbing the other mob families. This is definitely not my favorite game due to its gross out factor and very suggestive art but the interactions among players is very fun. If you can get by the art and theme then it can be a lot of fun.

Afterwards, I join back up with my road-trippin' buddies and we all sat down at a table with a dude who had a bag full of games and there we stayed for the rest of the day. We played Drakon, Cosmic Encounter and Ascension. This was definitely the high-lite for me since all three games were on my play list. After playing all three, I see why I was attracted to them in the first place but in the end Ascension would probably be the game I would be most likely to purchase.

All in all, a great day filled with games and friends and fun. As a sidenote, I won 2 of the 4 games. :)

Now to start looking forward to the opening of our very own local game store and maybe pick up a copy of Ascension. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment